Best Wellness Retreats in the World
With the stress of everyday life, work and also Covid-19, everyone needs time out to relax more than ever.
Whether you are looking for a refreshing break away to practice yoga, improve your fitness or just need a trip to recharge, there are so many retreats around the world to rejuvenate both mind and body.
Due to Covid-19, some resorts might be temporally closed but will likely be open again soon to international visitors. We recommend usinga website like `Vacayou` who will help you to plan and book everything.
Check out our list of the top 10 holistic wellness retreats in Asia, Europe, Americas, Caribbean and Australasia and get inspired to book your next break today.
1. Amanpuri, Phuket, Thailand
Address: 118, Srisoonthorn Rd, Cherngtalay, Thalang District, Phuket 83110, Thailand
Overlooking the Andaman Sea, this luxury beach resort is 5 km from Phuket FantaSea theme park, 11 km from Green Elephant Sanctuary and 25 km from the Phuket International Airport.
Luxury pavilions feature terraces, open-air lounge areas, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and minibars. Upgraded options offer private pools and/or sea views. Posh villas with 2 to 9 bedrooms have kitchens and additional living spaces, as well as private housekeepers and chefs. Some have gyms and massage rooms.
Amenities include beach access, an infinity pool and 4 dining options, including Italian cuisine, plus a spa. An airport shuttle and breakfast are offered.
The turquoise waters that surround Phuket offer voyages of discovery in all directions, whether exploring the Phuket coasts by boat or paddleboard, jet-skiing or scuba diving. Enjoy a peaceful evening paddling around the nearby bays while the sun sets or the excitement of a ride on the world's fastest underwater vessel - Amanpuri offers water sports to suit every tempo.
Amanpuri’s Wellness Centre provides a range of adaptable wellbeing programmes tailored from start to finish to meet personal goals. Offering condensed one- and two-day sessions, as well as Original and Intensive Immersions lasting three nights or more, the Centre’s scope ranges from medically led therapies to holistic treatments designed to alleviate stress and lift the spirit.
2. COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, Indonesia
- Address: Banjar Begawan, Desa, Melinggih Kelod, Payangan, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
Set in tropical rainforest, this polished spa resort on a 9-hectare estate lies on the banks of the Ayung River 10 km from the town of Ubud.
Plush, traditionally furnished rooms and suites with verandas are housed in adjacent thatched properties and have Internet access, satellite TV and DVD players, along with 4-poster beds, minifridges and coffeemakers. Suites add whirlpool tubs. Villas include private outdoor pools. Room service is offered 24/7.
The resort provides yoga and guided hikes. There are 2 restaurants, multiple lounges and heated pools, plus a fitness room, jungle gyms and an Ayurvedic spa with 9 treatment rooms.
3. Cal-a-Vie, Vista, California
- Address: 29402 Spa Havens Way, Vista, CA 92084, United States
Set on a 200-acre site, this upscale, all-inclusive Mediterranean-style resort is 1.6 miles from Vista Valley Country Club, 8 miles from Interstate 15, and 45.2 miles from San Diego International Airport.
Chic, cozy suites and villas come with antique furniture and sitting areas, plus sundecks or balconies with lounge chairs. WiFi is free.
Amenities include a spa, fitness classes and an outdoor pool, plus a high-end restaurant. Access is available to a golf course in the nearby country club (fee). There's also a free shuttle to the airport.
4. COMO Parrot Cay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- Address: Parrot Cay Turks and Caicos Islands, TKCA 1ZZ, Turks & Caicos Islands
This lavish beach resort on a private island is a 35-minute boat ride from Blue Haven Marina.
Ranging from rooms and suites to villas and houses, the chic quarters offer free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and marble bathrooms, plus 4-poster beds, minibars, and tea and coffeemaking facilities. Some have separate living areas, butler service and/or terraces with private plunge pools. Room service is available.
Breakfast is free. Dining options consist of 2 restaurants and a beach bar. Other amenities include a spa, a tennis court, and yoga and Pilates studios. There's also a gym, an infinity pool and direct access to the beach, plus event space.
5. Ananda in the Himalayas, Narendra Nagar Tehri - Garhwal, India
- Address: The Palace Estate, Narendra Nagar, Uttarakhand 249175, India
Surrounded by forest and overlooking the Ganges Valley, this tranquil spa resort is 25 km from Rajaji National Park and 30 km from Parmarth Niketan Hindu temple.
Offering balconies, the polished rooms have free Wi-Fi, flat-screens, minibars and coffeemakers; many offer valley views. Suites add features such as living rooms, dining areas and/or private gardens. Villas are also available (minimum-stay rules may apply).
The spa offers weight loss, meditation, yoga and wellness treatments. Other amenities include a restaurant, a fitness center and billiards, as well as a sauna and a hammam. There's also a golf course, a pool and a garden.
6. Le Blanc Spa Resort, Cancún, Mexico
- Address: Blvd. Kukulcan, Punta Cancun, Zona Hotelera, 77550 Cancún, Q.R., Mexico
This adults-only, all-inclusive beach resort is 3 km from Cancún Underwater Museum and 23 km from Cancún International Airport.
Featuring balconies with sea or resort views, the refined, airy rooms offer Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs with multimedia connections, and desks. They also have sitting areas and whirlpool tubs. Suites add minibars, iPod docks, laptop safes and espresso machines, as well as separate living areas. Room service is available.
There are 4 restaurants offering eclectic cuisine, as well as 6 bars. Other amenities include a fitness center, a golf course, outdoor pools and a spa, plus beach access.
7. Six Senses Douro Valley, Douro Valley, Portugal
- Address: Quinta Vale de Abrão, 5100-758 Samodães, Portugal
Set in the Douro Valley and overlooking the Douro River, this upscale hillside hotel in a 19th-century manor is 12 km from the medieval Lamego Castle.
Chic suites offer living areas, free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs, plus tea and coffeemakers, and vineyard or river views. Upgraded suites add separate living rooms; some have lofts. The 2- to 3-bedroom apartments have kitchens, and a villa comes with a private pool and garden.
A contemporary restaurant features an open kitchen, an organic garden and a terrace with river views. There's also a trendy lounge, and a sophisticated wine bar and cellar, as well as a spa and an outdoor infinity pool.
8. Bushmans Kloof, Clanwilliam, South Africa
- Address: R364 Agert Pakhuis Pass, Clanwilliam, 8135, South Africa
Set in the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains, this posh hotel in a Cape Dutch-style farmhouse is part of a wilderness reserve area, and is 35.2 km from Clanwilliam.
Bright rooms and suites with a mix of elegant and home-style decor offer tea and coffeemaking equipment, heated floors and free WiFi; some have private patios. Upgraded rooms and suites add flat-screen TVs, iPod docks and lounge areas; some feature fireplaces, and 1 has its own pool.
All meals are included, as are activities such as nature drives, rock art excursions and canoeing. There's also a luxe day spa, a gym, 4 pools and a steam room.
9. Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa, Baden-Baden, Germany
- Address: Schillerstraße 4/6, 76530 Baden-Baden, Germany
This refined spa hotel on the edge of the Black Forest is a 10-minute walk from modern art at the Museum Frieder Burda.
Elegant, individually decorated rooms feature marble bathrooms, balconies, and complimentary Wi-Fi and minibars (non-alcoholic). Upgraded rooms and suites add separate living areas with antique furnishings. Room service is available. Amenities include a spa, and medical facilities with numerous specialties. There are also fine-dining restaurants and 3 chic bars.
At the House of Wellbeing Villa Stéphanie expert hands are ready to tune up your body’s health and beauty, while the kitchens at our renegade restaurant, Fritz & Felix, is brimming with seasoned dishes made for sharing, with plenty from the charcoal grill.
10. Aro Ha, Glenorchy, New Zealand
- Address: 33 Station Valley Rd, Wyuna, Glenorchy 9350, New Zealand
'Aro Hā is a first-of-it’s-kind wellness centre, fusing state of the art building techniques, permaculture based self-sufficiency, and world-class wellness retreats. Located in New Zealand’s ethereal Southern Alps, Aro Hā is a centre designed for the exploration of the human spirit. Our innovative programs stimulate the mind & body by crafting each day with optimally tuned wellness programing. Although challenging, our programs will leave you with a glow that most of us have long forgotten. If life has brought you to a place of needing to rejuvenate, you’ve found the ideal elixir.'
Other Places to Consider
These retreats are also highly recommended:
- Fivelements, Bali, Indonesia
- Taj Usha Kiran Palace, Madhya Pradesh, India
- The Mulia, Bali, Indonesia
- Amankora Paro, High Intensity Training in the Himalayas, Bhutan
- La Maison Arabe, Marrakech, Morocco
- Waldorf Astoria Resort, Pedregal, Mexico
- Kamalaya, Koh Samui, Thailand
- SHA Wellness Clinic, Alicante, Spain
- ANA InterContinental Beppu Resort & Spa, Japan
- Miraval Life in Balance Spa, Orange County, California
- Villa Stephanie at Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa, Baden-Baden, Germany
- Grand Resort Bad Ragaz, Switzerland
- Dolce Vitality Fitness & Detox Retreat, Amalfi Coast, Italy
- Sensei Lanai, A Four Seasons Resort, Lanai City, Hawaii
- Naia Resort & Spa, Placencia, Belize
- Kamalaya, Koh Samui, Thailand
- Anantara Veli Resort, Maldives
- Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort, Mexico
- Ookushana Energy Healing & Holistic Wellness, UK
- Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa, Ainsworth Hot Springs, British Columbia
- Lake Austin Spa Resort, Austin, Texas
- Winvian Farm, Morris, Connecticut
- Bio-Hotel Stanglwirt, Going am Wilden Kaiser, Austria
- Mii Amo, Sedona, Arizona
- SHA Wellness Clinic, Alicante, Spain
- Golden Door, San Marcos, California, United States
Have you ever been to any of the retreats featured on our list? Or have you been somewhere we haven't included? Let us know in the comments section below.