Best Drones to Buy in 2021
Drones are the latest must have travel accessory, and since the evolution of Instagram they are one of the hottest products on the market right now. With so many affordable drones available, deciding which one to buy or knowing which one is best for shooting travel videos can be a tough decision.
To help we have put together a list of the ‘Best Drones for Travel’ with recommendations and options for all budgets. These are some of the most popular drones on the market right now with positive reviews.
This easy to fly drone has an intelligent flight system automatically keeps the Phantom 3 Standard in the air and under your control.
You can take stunning 2.7K HD videos and 12 Megapixel photos with the integrated aerial camera. Stable Footage: DJI's advanced gimbal stabilization technology gives you movie-quality results no matter how you fly.
A live video feed gives you a 720p HD real-time view of what your camera sees right on your mobile device. You can also fly up to 25 minutes on a single charge, and the Intelligent Flight Battery will automatically remind you when power is running low.
The DJI Mavic Pro Drone comes with a 4K camera and folds down as small as a bottle of water, making it small enough to bring with you everywhere - perfect for travelling!
- New OcuSync transmission system offers up to 4.3 miles (7km) of transmission range.
- Fly at up to 40mph (64kmh) or for as long as 27-minutes.
- True 4K, fully stabilized ensures smooth footage
- Active Track, TapFly and other smart features make professional looking video effortless.
Meet Spark, a mini drone that features all of DJI's signature technologies, allowing you to seize the moment whenever you feel inspired. With intelligent flight control options, a mechanical gimbal, and a camera with incredible image quality, Spark empowers you to push your creative boundaries. This great value for money drone comes in several different colours including white, red, yellow, green and blue.
- Quick launch: With Face Aware, Spark lifts off from your hand by recognizing your face. It takes off and hovers in place within seconds of powering on.
- Simple control: Take amazing aerial photos using just hand gestures, without a remote controller or mobile device. Effective Pixels 12 MP
- Create with ease: Intelligent Flight Modes and intuitive controls help you create cinematic aerial videos with just a few taps.
The DJI Mavic drone features 32 MP Sphere Panoramas, Foldable & Portable, 3-Axis Gimbal & 4K Camera 3-Directional Environment Sensing and has a 21-Minute Flight Time.
ActiveTrack can sense up to 16 selectable subjects simultaneously, letting you choose the right tracking subject. With higher tracking precision and broader scenario applications, ActiveTrack follows targets even when they're running, jumping, or cycling.
Fun, simple, and intuitive, SmartCapture offers a new and interactive way of controlling the Mavic Air by hand. Launch and control the drone with hand gestures, then take photos or videos however you like.
If you want to focus on just your shot, select TapFly in DJI GO 4, which lets you fly wherever you tap on your mobile device screen. TapFly works in Forward, Backward, Free, and Coordinate modes, and you can adjust flight speed to suit all your aerial needs.
New HDR algorithms help you obtain the right exposure settings intelligently, according to lighting conditions. Overexposed or dark areas are processed for more natural transitions between highlights and shadows, while DSP acceleration allows for more efficient shooting.
GoPro are one of the most popular adventure camera manufacturers in the world. The highly rated GoPro Karma Drone features an impressive HERO6 camera and can be brought in white or black. Karma captures amazingly smooth GoPro footage in the air, handheld or body-mounted. The Karma Drone is foldable and fits into its own lightweight case that’s comfortable to wear during any activity.
A game-style controller featuring an integrated touch display makes it easy and fun to fly. Karma comes with a camera stabiliser that can be removed from the drone and attached to the included Karma Grip to capture ultra steady professional-looking handheld and body-mounted footage.
One of the better value drones on our list, the Parrot Bebop 2 compact drone is small, fast, agile and lightweight camera perfect for everyday use.
The Parrot Bebop 2 is the first camera drone in the 500g category with 25 minutes of flight time: Designed to fly both indoors and outdoors, Parrot Bebop 2 has numerous safety systems, you can fly with complete peace of mind Parrot Bebop 2 uses 7 sensors simultaneously to ensure maximum stability.
Shoot full HD videos and aerial photos like a professional enabled by RAW format and 14Mpx wide-angle camera Unmatched 3-axis digital stabilization system ensuring smooth and stable videos regardless of the drone’s movements Fast, agile and lightweight camera drone for every day, Parrot Bebop 2 is the first camera drone in the 500g category with 25 minutes of flight time.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Drone
- What is your budget - drone prices range dramatically.
- What will you be using it for - like to you really need the top range model.
- What are reviews like - one of the best ways to see what other travellers say.
- Check specifications like size and weight.
- Different countries around the world have different criteria for how and where you can fly drones and to avoid any issues check before using your drone abroad.
- Make sure you read the user manual and practise in open spaces - drones can be difficult to get to grips with especially for the first time.
- Join social media pages to connect, get tips and share your videos with other travellers.
Have you got any experience of using any of the drones listed above? Or do you have any recommendations for one we have missed off our list? Let us know in the comments section below.