Volunteer in El Salvador
If you would like to visit El Salvador and do something meaningful find volunteer projects where you can help local NGO's and non profit organizations. There are various community and conservation volunteering programs open to international participants all year round.
Volunteer Programs in El Salvador
Find structured, free & low cost volunteer opportunities in El Salvador.
Volunteer Organizations in El Salvador
How to Help in El Salvador
Experience life in a developing country and choose from a selection of summer, community and conservation volunteer programs in El Salvador. A lot of people overlook El Salvador and choose to volunteer in Mexico and other more well known countries in the region, but if you are looking for an authentic experience we highly recommend you consider this destination.
Volunteering in El Salvador on a budget is quite easy and there are lots of ways to save money. Hostels and accommodation is quite cheap and a lot of programs include shared housing in the fee. This destination is a lot cheaper to visit than others in the region. As a volunteer you will usually be expected to help around 5 - 6 hours per day Monday to Friday. Weekends will be free for you to explore the country, various sightseeing trips and excursions are available. There are start dates all year round.
Volunteering Projects in El Salvador
Most programs have a focus on community development and conservation. A lot of charities and non profits work to help disdvantaged people in the country and some recruit international participants to help. Roles can include education, sports coaching, heatlhcare, awareness and teaching.
Some organisations offer nature preservation programs where you can work with local staff at national parks and with wildlife, tasks can include:
- Litter collections
- Planting od native and trees
- Removal of invasive plants or weeds
- Clear out the trails and paths for visitors and keep them clean
- Work with wildlife preservation
Where You Can Help
There are projects set up throughout the country in places like:
- San Salvador
- La Palma
- Joya de Cerén
- Santa Ana
- Cerro Verde National Park
- Ruta de las Flores
- La Libertad
- Costa del Sol
- El Tunco
- San Miguel
- Playa El Cuco
- Ruta de Paz
- Participants usually need to be aged 18 years or older on the volunteer program start date
- A mandatory criminal background check (For all children related programs)
- Although not a compulsion; however, volunteers are required to know intermediate or beginner level of Spanish, especially in teaching programs
- Participants are encouraged to be fun, creative, enthusiastic and friendly