Portugal Travel Guide
Portugal is one of the most popular travel destinations in Europe and it's easy to see why. Expect a warm climate, tasty food, friendly people, modern cities and incredible beaches. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel or go backpacking in Portugal.
Top Things to Do in Portugal
Travel to Portugal
Our Portugal destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for places to stay and how visit Portugal on a budget.
Get inspired to visit Portugal today!
- Capital - Lisbon (population 550,000 approx)
- Currency - Euro
- Population - 10,100,000 (approx)
- International Calling Code +351
- Language - Portuguese
- Area - 92,390 km
Top Reasons to Travel to Portugal
Need some convincing Portugal should be your next destination? Here are some good reasons to go:
- Warm climate almost all year round
- Tasty food and excellent wines
- Friendly open people
- Good infrastructure for tourists
- Cheaper than other destinations in Europe
- Facsinating cities
- Stunning beaches
- Lots of activities and things to do all year round
Best Places to Visit in Portugal
Here are some of the places you need to add to your travel itinerary:
Travelling & Backpacking in Portugal
Portugal as a whole often falls to the backburner for tourists and even those considering a visit to the country probably forget about Porto in favor of the capital Lisboa and the sun-soaked Algarve. However, this seaside gem is home to a slew of intriguing attractions for tourists with about half the price tag and crowds of Europe’s bustling hotspots.
Portugal offers a range of experiences from exploring bustling cities like Braga, Porto and Lisbon to visiting the remote paradise of the Azores islands. If you have an interest in nature you might want to plan a trip to the Peneda Gerês National Park or if you are after a more laid back experience go in search of beaches which are among the best in Europe. If you are after a more lively experience you could visit and party in Lagos which has lots of beachside bars, cafes and nightlife.
Here are some essential Portugal travel tips:
- Explore Porto and Lisbon which are two of the best cities in Europe
- Working a summer season is highly recommended
- If you want to avoid tourists stay away from popular destinations like the Algarve and try to hire a car to visit some of the National Parks in the country.
- Portugal is one of the best places to learn to surf
- Knowing Portuguese is not required but will really help especially if you learn the basics, there are Portuguese language courses available throughout the country