Palestine Travel Guide, Gap Year Volunteering and Tours
Palestine is one of the most historic destinations in the world with incredible locations and sights. Despite what you might think, this region is safer to visit than you might think and thousands of international tourists visit every year. There are world famous religious sights available to visit all year round. We have a selection of travel and gap year ideas where you can do more than just sightseeing.
Palestine Travel Ideas, Gap Year Programs & Experiences
Find inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to go travelling, backpacking or take a gap year in Palestine.
Top Reasons to Travel to Palestine
- History with world famous tourist and biblical sights
- Safer than you think on an organised experience
- Tasty local cuisine
Top 10 Places to Visit in Palestine
Palestine Gap Year
Plan a life changing gap year to Palestine! Search trips, programs and options today. If the idea of spending a meaningful gap year appeals to you then you really should consider going to Palestine.
View our Israel travel guide.
Palestine Small Group Tours
Most of our tours specifically cater for the 18-39 age group and are a really popular option due to meeting other people, getting day-to-day activities, hotel check-ins, selected meals, accommodation and also transport/guides included in the price. Don't worry if you are slightly older, most tours accept all ages.
Palestine Tours for Solo Travellers
Our tours are perfect if you are travelling solo and would like to meet other people and travel in a group. You will get to meet other international travellers and get taken to the best locations in the country with an experienced guide.
Palestine Budget Tours
We have a selection of tours for all budgets, so whether you are looking to explore on the cheap or you have a bit more money to spend you will be able to find a trip to match your interests. Our website features lots of cheap tours allowing you to discover the highlights of the country and not break the bank.
Palestine City & Day Tours
Short for time? Want to see the highlights as quick as possible? There are day tours available to book throughout the country. Popular options include city tours where a local guide will usually show you the sights. These types of tours can be booked as part of a group or you can spend a little extra and get a private tour. Some city tours are totally free but you might be expected to give a tip.
Usually travellers of the same sex will share a twin room, but there is also the option to pay a little extra and get a private room. Accommodation can vary depending on the tour and location. Some tours also include homestays which allow for a facsinating cultural exchange.
Typical group sizes are around 8-18 travellers with an average of 12 but this can vary between the tour and operator.
On most tours you will travel overland in a private small tour van.
How to Book
Thinking about making an enquiry or booking? Search our featured trips above or contact us for specific advice.
Have you ever been on a tour? Would you like to review a company or tour? Contact us today.
Apply to Volunteer in Palestine
If you have been researching options like going to volunteer in the Middle East the chances are that Palestine might be one of your preffered destinations. The Palestinian territories is generally defined as Gaza and the West Bank, both located in the Middle East. Most projects can be join in the West Bank, this is where world famous destinations like Bethlemen are located.
A lot of organisations builds on the belief that mutual understanding is at the heart of improved relations across communities, cultures, nations, and religions. Through experiences both in community organizing in Palestine and with visitors from around the world, personal encounters and conversations among people working together create some of the best opportunities for mutual understanding.
Palestine is not a destination where it is easy just to turn up and volunteer your services for free, we highly recommend arranging a safe and structured experience through one of our partner organisations. You can join short or long term volunteer programs in places like Nablus and the West Bank. Large international charities, sending agencies and also local NGO's have been working for decades in the Palestinian Territories with the aim of proving humanitarian assitance, better education and facilities to benefit local people.
Make a difference by applying to join a project today.
How You Can Help
International participants are needed for the following projects:
- Community development
- Education & Youth Outreach
- Medical & Healthcare
- Conservation and Agriculture
- Summer Camps
- Teach English in Palestine
- Humanitarian and Refugee Camps
- Language: You will need to be able to converse in English and also learning basic Arabic words and phrases is recommended. Arabic classes in Palestine can be arranged once you are settled in.
- Health and Safety: You will need to check latest safety information before departing to Palestine, the security situation is quite stable at the moment but this can change and deteriorate quickly. There are also lots of alternative destinations including:
- Working Hours: This really depends on the project you apply for but usually 9-4 around 5 days per week with 2 days free.
- Food: You will generally eat Middle Eastern style food which is very tasty, for example rice, humus, vegtables, lentils, pasta, meat like chicken and beef.
- Accommodation: This can be either shared accommodation with other participants or a local homestay. Conditions can be basic so don't expect any 5* treatment. Staying in shared accommodation can be a good way to get to know the other volunteers, food is usually delivered and you will need to cook it. A home stay offers a complete cultural integration into local society where you will get to know a local family eating breakfast and dinner with them. This will offer a great insight into life in Palestine.
- Requirements: You will need to be aged 18+, be flexible, adveturous, open minded and accept any challenged thrown your way. You might need to commit to staying for at least 1-2 weeks, no organisation really wants to train you for you to then leave after 2 days. You will need a valid international passport and be eligible for a visa to visit Israel.
How to Apply
You have the option to apply through a volunteer sending agency, or be creative and go independent searching our opportunities locally. We recommend applying through a large international organisation, this will be more structured and safer than going solo. They charge a fee which will include placements, pre-departure information, accommodation, meals and in country support. There are flexible starting times throughout the year, you can apply to help and stay from 1 weeks to ovor 6 months+ depending on your availability.
Palestine Volunteer Reviews & Testimonials
"I have been to volunteer at the Excellence Center in Hebron. There are some great things about the center and volunteering but also some things that could be done better. Nonetheless I had an amazing experience in Hebron and I am grateful for the opportunity I was given here." - Alexa, United States