Bulgaria Travel Guide
View our comprehensive Bulgaria travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Activities & Things to Do in Bulgaria
Travel to Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a up and coming travel destination which has had massive foreign investment in recent years. The Black Sea Coast with spectacular white sandy beaches is one of the main attractions for tourists whilst there are lots of winter ski holidays available at competative prices.
Our Bulgaria destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, advice on places to stay and how visit Bulgaria on a budget.
Get inspired to visit Bulgaria today!
- Capital: Sofia
- Population: 7,385,367 (July 2006 est.)
- Currency: Lev (BGN)
- Area: 110,910 sq km
- Interntional Dailing Code +359
Top Reasons to Visit Bulgaria
- Up and coming destination
- Less touristy than most other countries in Europe
- Spectacular nature
- Great value, being a tourist here is very cheap
How to Get to Bulgaria
If you live in Europe then Bulgaria is only a couple of hours flights away and lots of low cost airlines operate like EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizz Air fly direct to Sofia for around £100 ($150). If you are arriving from North America or other global destinations you might need to catch a flight to Europe and then internal to Bulgaria.
Best Places to Visit in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a really underrated destination and is diverse in terms of things you can see and do. Here are some places you should add to your Bulgaria travel itinerary:
- The Mountains
- Black Sea Coast
- Veliko Tarnovo (the previous capital of Bulgaria)
- Local churches and monasterys
- Belogradchik Rocks
- You could visit the cave monastery
- If adventure is your thing go kayaking in the Kamchia forest park
- Small towns and villages like Koprivshtitsa, Kovachevitsa, Etar and Bozhentsi
View our Europe travel guide.