Discover Laos on one of our featured tours and visit spectacular places like Luang Prabang, Vientiene and the Mekong. There are lots of different tours available including overland trips, city cultureal sightseeing tours and also cycling adventures.
Backpacker, Overland & Adventure Tours & Trips in Laos
Search the best small group budget tours of Laos.
Book a Tour to Laos
By far the most popular way to experince Laos is on a small group tour where you will travel in a group with people from all around the world. You will be guided by an experienced guide and taken to the very best places in the country. If you are travelling solo and worried about meeting people we recommend joining organized tours, you will get to travel with other people and you will not be lonely. There aren't many hostels as such in Laos, most of the accommodation is hotels or guest houses so if you are traveling independently it can be difficult to meet people.
Booking an adventure tour of Laos will also provide you with an authentic experience, you will be taken to the best spots in the country and eat at locally run cafes and restaurants - There are also lots of overland trips which can be booked through our website which will take you to some of the best places in the country, recommended places to visit include Lunag Pra Bang, Vang Vien and the 4000 islands. Most tours in Laos include eating at local restaurants and visiting places like the COPE visitor centre which is a fantastic charity that provides medical care and rehabilitation for victims of landmines. You are guaranteed the time of your life!
Tours for Solo Travellers
Our tours are perfect if you are travelling solo and would like to meet other people and travel in a group. You will get to meet other international travellers and get taken to the best locations in the country with an experienced guide.
We have a selection of tours for all budgets, so whether you are looking to explore on the cheap or you have a bit more money to spend you will be able to find a trip to match your interests. Our website features lots of cheap tours allowing you to discover the highlights of the country and not break the bank.
Tours for 18 - 35's
Most of our tours specifically cater for the 18-35 age group and are a really popular option due to meeting other people, getting day-to-day activities, hotel check-ins, selected meals, accommodation and also transport/guides included in the price. Don't worry if you are slightly older, most tours accept all ages.
City & Day Tours
Short for time? Want to see the highlights as quick as possible? There are day tours available to book throughout the country. Popular options include city tours where a local guide will usually show you the sights. These types of tours can be booked as part of a group or you can spend a little extra and get a private tour. Some city tours are totally free but you might be expected to give a tip.
Laos Cycling Tours
Explore Laos on an exciting overland active cycling tour. Some cycling adventures start in Hanoi (Northenr Vietnam) and then finish in Bangkok (Thailand). On cycling trips you you will usually travel in a small group of no more than 18 people and stop to see some of the best tourist sights on route whilst taking in some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. You will get to enjoy the hustle and bustle of cities and then experience laid back Laos seeing temples and ancient ruins. An average level of fitness is needed to join.
Typical group sizes are around 8-18 travellers with an average of 12 but this can vary between the tour and operator.
On most tours you will travel overland in a private small tour van. For day trips and excursions sometimes you will use public transport.
Transport & Accommodation
Most tours use buses and pulbic transport to get to each destination, accommodation can vary but generally you will stay in hostels, hotels and guest houses aswell as a local homestay. There are departures all year round and you can apply to join tours anytime. A lot of tours start in Vientiane or Bangkok, Thailand where you will meet your new travel companions and tour leader at a welcome meeting and optional dinner. From Bangkok, you will travel North and cross into Laos. Start and finish locations vary depending on the tour. Some meals are included in the price you pay and food in Laos is famous for being tasty, be sure to sample the local tasty cuisine including 'sticky rice'. Food you buy during a tour e.g. snacks and alcohol will need to be covered by yourself.
Sample Laos Tour Itinerary
All tours of Laos take unique routes and visit different places, this itinerary below gives you an idea of what to expect and includes information on the destinations you are likely to visit:
- Vientiane - the capital of Laos and a good introduction to the country. Most tours usually start here and you will get to meet your new travel companions at a welcome meeting before heading out for your first dinner together.
- Vang Vieng – the surroundings of the town are spectacular. This evening will include a meal at an organic farm on the outskirts of the town. We’ll have a short tour of the farm and the attached school. After the tour we’ll be treated to a delicious dinner before heading back into town to enjoy the nightlife! On the 3rd day you’ll have a free day to explore– you could take a bike ride out into the countryside, explore the nearby caves and take a quick dip in the beautiful crystal clear waters of the lagoon.
- Travel overland by private bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang. Luang Prabang is a UNESCO world heritage city and rightfully so; the countryside, the architecture and the stunning temples make the city truly superb. We’ll have two days here to enjoy a wealth of optional activities including a city tour, a trip to the Royal Palace museum or the Ethnology museum (if you’re interested in the unique history and customs of the population groups throughout Laos). Or you may want to explore and take a dip in the nearby turquoise coloured waterfalls or even take a fun local cooking course!
- Board a boat for a relaxed journey up the Mekong River. The awe-inspiring scenery and insight into the local way of life in the beautiful, mountainous countryside of Laos makes the journey fly by. Spend the night in the small town of Pak Beng.
- Take a private bus to Luang Nam Tha. In the afternoon, we'll have the opportunity to visit the local hilltribe communities and learn about their rich culture and history.Lunch and dinner will be included here, as we’ll be staying with local families. Enjoy the hospitality, stunning landscapes and potent local rice wine!
- Enjoy the morning at the homestay before heading to Huay Xai – the sleepy little border town close to the golden triangle (where the borders of Laos, Thailand, Burma and China converge.) Take a trip to the picturesque temple on top of the hill, or even end it with a relaxing traditional Lao massage!
- Cross the border into Chiang Mai in Thailand where the tour ends.
There are different trips for all budgets. Some tour companies work with low overheads meaning they are able to pass the savings directly on to you with great prices and quality accommodation, transportation and tour leaders. The price you pay really depends on where you visit, how long you want to join for and also which level of comfort you want. Sometimes you might need to pay an additional local payment to pay for tips and in-country staff.
How to Book
Thinking about making an enquiry or booking? Search our featured trips above or contact us for specific advice.
Laos Tour Reviews
If you have ever joined a tour in Laos and would like to review or share your experience please contact us.