Teach English in the Philippines
Famous for its gorgeous beaches, lovely people and fantastic food, the Philippines is the perfect destination to teach English. Most teaching jobs can be found in Baguio, Cebu and Manila. Apply today.
Teaching, Language & TEFL Jobs in Philippines
Guide to Teaching English in Philippines
The Philippines is a spectacular island located in Southeast Asia. This country has a huge population of around 100 million people making it one of the most populated countries on the planet. The Philippines used to be a former colony of the USA and although a lot of people can already speak English, many Filipinos are keen to learn or improve their language skills which is where the need for native English speaking TEFL teachers comes in.
If you are looking to teach English abroad and live in a beautiful country with amazing beaches, tasty food, friendly locals and a warm climate then the Philippines will be a destination you will not regret. View our guide where you can read information about salary, eligibility, how to apply and get top tips for landing a teaching job. Search recruiters and local language schools offering TEFL employment in the Philippines.
Why Teach in the Philippines
- Stunning nature with some of the best beaches in the world
- This is a very cheap destination compared to places you can teach in Asia
- Friendly natives who are very keen to learn
- You can choose between large cities and more peaceful locations
- Gain a cultural experience like no other
- A lot of local people can speak English and so communication is easier
Teach English in Manila
Manila is a huge city where most people seek teaching jobs. Not many people would describe Manila as a beautiful city but there are lots of cultural spots to check out. Teaching English in Manila here will give you a perfect insight into the traditional local culture and the transport links will take you in close proximity to the flora and fauna of this nation. There are multiple places to visit in Manila and also number of activities to participate in. This is a perfect destination to shop for authentic and cheap goods, there are big shopping malls and also small roadside markets where you can shop with your last penny.
Teach English in Cebu
Cebu is the world famous tourist destination of the Philippines, well known for its wonderful azure sea and pallid beaches. This beach resort endowed with its beautiful landscape is an ideal spot to teach English. It is the perfect combination of a long vacation alongside a paid job - you will get to live in paradise. There are plenty of water and beach activities to participate in Cebu and after dusk the nightlife is equally exciting. There are also many small secluded islets near Cebu where the trainees can go to unwind their stress after teaching.
We recommend arriving in the Philippines on a tourist visa and when in country ask your employer to sort out a work permit.
Where to Seek TEFL Employment
- International Schools
- Public Schools
- Private Lessons
Top Tips to Get a Teaching Job in the Philippines
- Have a degree
- Have a recognised TEFL certification
- Have at least two years experience
- Learn some local words and phrases
Salary for Teaching in the Philippines
- At language centres you can expect to make around £400 - £1000 (US$700 – $1,400) per month
- When teaching at International schools and universities you can expect more, usually around £1500 (US$2,000) per month
- If you are looking to gain work experience you might want to view our Philippines volunteer programs where we have a selection of unpaid teaching placements perfect if you just want to build your CV / resume
Usually you can expect to teach in international schools and language centres from around 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday. If you give private lessons these can be more flexible and you could also work at weekends.
Cost of living
The cost of living as an English teacher in the Philippines is very low especially compared to other countries in the region like Thailand. You can get great value on food, drink and getting around. Housing can cost more in prime locations and the larger cities.