Learn Portuguese in Brazil
Keen to learn or improve your Portuguese language skills? Book a course in Brazil! Studying Portuguese in Brazil will open up a world of opportunities, you will get to meet new people, have lots of fun, improve your language skills and go sightseeing in your spare time. Search classes today.
Brazilian Portuguese Language Courses in Brazil
Best Places to Study Portuguese in Brazil
There are so many different locations you can go, here are our top recommendations:
- Rio de Janeiro
- Sao Paulo
- Salvador da Bahia
- Belo Horizonte
- Porto Alegre
- Vale do Paraiba e Litoral Norte
Guide to Studying Portuguese in Brazil
Arrange an incredible experience to live and learn Portuguese abroad in Brazil. Maybe you are looking to boost a career, enhance your education or you just want a better way to interact with locals whilst experiencing a different culture - there are so many benefits of booking a class in Brazil.
Some agencies and language schools offer packages which include accommodation, airport pick-up, in-country support, activities/excursions and also combo experiences like capoeira, music lessons and volunteer programs. Classes can be joined anytime throughout the year and booked in advance. This is a great opportunity if you would like to spend your gap year in Brazil and do something productive, if you have an interest in languages or you would like to work in Brazil.
If you are a complete beginner or already know the basics, you can find a course from the best Portuguese language schools in the country. On our guide you will get information on the best places to study, the cheapest place to take a course, read reviews and also get recommendations for the best language schools in the country.
Top Rated Language Schools in Brazil
- Caminhos Language Centre offer private and group Portuguese lessons in Rio de Janeiro and can also arrange accommodation, activities and volunteer placements.
- Olinda Portuguese language school offer group and private courses and combo volunteer programs in Recife
- Berlitz International Inc., has a number of language schools in São Paulo city/state, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Brasília, Curitiba, Porto Alegre and Fortaleza
- CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange), offers university level Portuguese courses and student exchanges at universities in São Paulo and Salvador.
- Step1 Idiomas, Florianópolis
- The Language Club, Florianópolis
- GoBrazil, Maceió
- Básica Língua, Salvador
- Dialogo Language School, Salvador
- Idioma - Escola De Português, Salvador
Types of Classes
- There are Portuguese for college students, adults, seniors, teenagers and families
- Beginners, intermediate and advanced courses
- Professional courses related to business and medicine
- Portuguese language and culture combo courses e.g. dance lessons or volunteer programs in Brazil
- Private Language classes in Brazil
Course aim to introduce you to the basics of the Brazilian Portuguese language with an introduction to structure, grammar and key phrases. Students should be able to: introduce themselves, spell words, give some personal information about their daily routines and hobbies, describe and identify people, order in a restaurant, book a room in a hotel and buy items in a shop.
The course aims to build upon students’ knowledge of the Poruguese language developing structure, grammar and key phrases. Students should be able to: understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment), communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters and describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
These courses aim to build towards fluency and accuracy in verbal communication, concentrating on listening and speaking activities, backed up with writing and reading activities to build capability and advanced grammatical understanding.
What You Will Learn
Teachers aim to build fluency and accuracy in verbal communication, concentrating on listening and speaking activities, backed up with writing and reading activities to build capability and advanced grammatical understanding. By the end of a course you will:
- Have developed your ability in conversational Brazilian Portuguese to the point where you can converse on most subjects
- Be able to express opinions and discuss the points of view of others
- Have increased your level of accuracy in communication
- Have a good understanding of advanced grammatical structures
- Have extended your knowledge of Brazil and the local culture
- Course Start: Usually every Monday
- 1 Lesson: Generally 50 minutes for group classes and slightly longer for private classes
- Class Size: Average 6; Maximum 10
- Minimum Age: 16
- Schedule: Morning or afternoon and sometimes evening
- Discounted Courses: Discounts are applicable when the weeks are booked and paid for together. The discount is per person.
- Housing: Student Residences and Private Apartments are subject to availability and may include their own policies and fees, such as a deposit.
- Suggested Accommodation Check-In: One day earlier
- Prices: Brazilian Reil, U.S. Dollars (USD) and other international currencies if booked online in advance
- Safety: Safety is a top concern for all language schools, they want student to enjoy the best time possible and stay safe. Language school provides a safe environment for international study including in-country support and 24-hour emergency service. Someone will always be on hand incase of any emergencies.
How to Book
On One World 365 you can search beginners, intermediate and advanced Portuguese language classes and schools in Brazil which are available during summer and all year round. If you need any help arranging a Portuguese language course in Brazil please get in touch.
If you have ever joined a Portuguese course in Brazil and would like to write about your experience, review a company or share any recommendations please contact us.
"I was traveling in Brazil and decided to do a language course as my Portuguese was so bad. I did a intensive group course which was very cheap and also a lot of fun. Once you pick up the basics you will fly by and also living in the country makes it a lot easier as you can practise every day. I loved visited so much that I decided to go back, I'm now teaching English in Brazil and I'm not planning on returning anytime soon." - Emily, UK