Help & Advice in Planning a Trip
Some general guidelines and recommendations if you are planning a trip overseas.
- Research your destination carefully using guidebooks, online resources and advice from other travellers
- Find out as much as you can in advance about any organisation or project
- Speak to or meet with those offering a placement ahead of booking
- Be sure to clarify all relevant details, what will be provided etc
- Use social networking or relevant internet forums to make contact with previous volunteers or others who've been there before
- For UK commercial booking agents or operators look for travel industry bonding or membership of recognised affiliation schemes
- Take out relevant travel insurance or emergency assistance cover
- Investigate medical advice relevant to your destination and take necessary healthcare precautions
- Be extremely cautious if requested to send advanced fees overseas
- Avoid engaging in illegal or immoral conduct and be suspicious of others who may be doing so
- Refrain from alcohol or drugs, these can represent a serious danger to your wellbeing
- If you believe there could be a reason for concern regarding personal safety consult with and/or travel with others who are knowledgeable
- Contact a trusted organisation like the Foreign Office or your Embassy if you are visiting a high risk location to receieve up to date advice
If you are not a seasoned traveller familiar with the situation on the ground in a potentially difficult overseas location we strongly recommend choosing a placement through an established and recognised provider who can tailor a package to ensure your safety and enjoyment. A number of these are counted amongst our most prominent advertisers.
Our guide includes thousands of organisations worldwide covering a broad spectrum from established travel companies to small community based volunteer projects. We do not have the resources to visit every organisation listed on our websites and your feedback is important in helping us to improve our listings.
Occasionally we recieve reports that organisations listed within the free section of our guide are disreputable or engaged in improper or immoral practices, in these instances we will act if necessary to remove their listing and alert others if we have genuine reason for concern.
If you or one of your friends have suffered a negative experience as a result of a placement listed on our site or you meet or know of anyone who has please forward details onto us so we can re-evaluate the suitability of the listing. Equally if you have something positive to say about an organisation or project, let us know and we will be happy to do what we can to promote them.
Please get if touch if we can be of any further assistance feedback [@] oneworld365.org.