Sea turtle conservation and monitoring programme
Yayasan Pulau Banyak accepts international volunteers to assist in the beach monitoring programme on the island of Bangkaru. Duties consist of nightly beach patrols to collect data on the nesting population, morning patrols and environmental education. When time allows, volunteers could be assigned their own research project to collect information on certain aspects of the nesting population. It is also possible to fulfill your practical placement from your school or university with Yayasan Pulau Banyak. Previous agroforestry and wildlifemanagement students have already succesfully completed their practical placement with the sea turtle conservation programme.
The opportunity also exists to conduct studies on bird or reptile diversity on the island by making inventory lists. No previous experience is needed as all training will be provided on arrival, but a background in wildlife conservation is preferred.
What we offer
* Full training on arrival.
* Basic accommodation (privacy currently limited) and food
* Arrangement of visa and transport to and from the site
* Training manual
* Working together with local community
* Obtaining experience in sea turtle conservation
* An idyllic location with abundant marine and terrestrial wildlife
* Cultural exchange and learning Indonesian
* Enough spare time to snorkel or enjoy the uninhabited island Bangkaru
* Physically in good condition and good health
* Confident swimmer (landings and departures at the beach can be tricky)
* A background in wildlife conservation is preferred
* Previous experience in other sea turtle conservation projects is an advantage
* Able to converse in English
* Able to converse in Indonesian is an advantage but not a requirement
* Minimum age of 18
* Up to date vaccinations
* Malaria prophylaxis recommended
* Travel insurance
* Being able to work in remote areas under basic conditions
* Available for a minimum of 2 weeks
* Volunteers are able to join during the peak nesting season: November to July.
* An administration fee of USD100 is required (for assisting in arranging visa and permits) and a monthly fee of USD500 for food, transportation and project contribution (the same amount is charged when staying for less then one month but for a minimum of 2 weeks).
We are in urgent need of volunteers who would like to dedicate their time teaching English to all ages in Pulau Banyak. For the succesful development of eco-tourism in the region, the ability to converse in English is an important factor. Previous volunteers have lived within the community for months and enjoyed learning about new cultures.
Yayasan Pulau Banyak will provide you with staple food and lodging during the volunteer experience as well as all transport to and from the islands, visa process and briefing material. Teaching material is already available as well as enthusiastic pupils such as: schoolchildren, adults and staff members.
* Volunteers are able to join anytime of the year
* An administration fee of USD100 is required (for assisting in arranging visa and permits) and a monthly fee of USD500 for food,accommodation, transportation and project contribution (the same amount is charged when staying for less then two months but for a minimum of 4 weeks).
Please contact our volunteer coordinator for more information and an application form.
Volunteer opportunities exist to assist in the development of environmental education programmes and/or eco-tourism programmes. Please contact our volunteer coordinator for more information and an application form.
Have you booked with Yayasan Pulau Banyak? Please share your experience and submit your review.