SOVA is a leading national volunteer mentoring organisation
working with those socially and economically disadvantaged
in England and Wales
We are seeking volunteers from the age of 18 upwards who will be trained to become mentors to ex-offenders, and help them take steps towards employment by acquiring education, training or employment. Volunteers may offer practical and social support, enabling access to employment and training opportunities through helping our clients with:
· Employment and Training searches
· CV building
· Filling out Application forms
· Interview preparation
· Attending interviews/meetings and many more
In return this opportunity offers all volunteers the chance to:
· Quickly build up a portfolio of experience working with ex-offenders with a mixture of short and long term assignments, supporting them gain the essential skills and independence to help them enter the work place.
· Get full training, professional supervision and support from SOVA staff
· Opportunity to work to becoming an OCN accredited mentor, a recognised vocational qualification.
· Experience for CV/Job application
· References (after 6 months voluntary work)
· Travel and subsistence expenses paid by SOVA
· Have a real impact in the lives of vulnerable adults
· The chance to benefit their local community
This opportunity provides a valuable source of experience, providing in-depth understanding of working with ex-offenders, the issues and barriers facing ex-offenders and why people offend
Job Deal is operated by SOVA, in conjunction with SERCO and is funded by the European Social Fund and the Department for Work and Pensions, and managed by the Ministry of Justice National Offender Management Scheme.
The project will primarily be running in the Thames Valley covering Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire. The overall aim of the project is to improve the employment prospects of unemployed adult offenders in these catchment areas. Clients are matched to an appropriate mentor so that a unique and effective mentoring relationship is created.
The work is done under strict confidentiality and guidelines, with both parties having a clear understanding of the boundaries of the relationship. This work helps the offender re-engage with society by building self esteem, confidence and resilience.
Have you booked with SOVA (Supporting Others through Volunteer Action)? Please share your experience and submit your review.