Thailand Volunteer Placements and Internships
Would you like to gain hands-on experience working in southern Thailand on projects such as coral reef or wildlife conservation, sustainability, community based tourism, or ecotourism. We have many projects and elements to our work here in paradise that you could join, gaining an amazing work, life, and cultural experience. We have set and flexible volunteer programs from one week to 6 months.
We accept volunteers throughout the year to assist us with a variety of projects, activities, and day-to-day tasks of running the Ecolodge and associated programs. Please send us an e-mail explaining what part of the Ecolodge program you are interested in contributing to, your experience and skills, and the preferred timing/duration of your stay.
Volunteers can exchange work for reduced room and board costs. We offer subsidized room and board to volunteers at the cost of US$350 per month (shared room; full price would normally be about US$880 for a shared room).
We also accept volunteers for shorter focused projects such as the 1) Reef Check Coral Reef Monitoring project and 2) the Jungle Ecology and Hornbill Habitat project. These projects are supported by volunteers and are more intensive.
1) Web design- we need help revising, updating and improving our website. If you have these skills we want you and will compensate you.
2) Marketing Coordinator- assist the Ecolodge and associated projects with web and internet based marketing and promotion. Assist newsletter design and writing, updating forums, FaceBook, You Tube sites, etc. We welcome your ideas and creativity.
3) Ecolodge Assistant Manager- we envision this as a co-position with a local Thai employee whereby the intern and Thai employee can help each other and exchange skills, ideas, and culture. This position will assist the manager in running the Ecolodge, handling e-mail inquiries, reservations, orienting guests, assisting with project development and implementation and doing many vary tasks. Good experience with a great staff and guests. If you are interested I a future managing at an Ecolodge, this is for you.
4) Ecotourism/Community-based tourism Coordinator- this position will coordinate and schedule all guest activities such as ecotours and village tours. You will show guests the tour information, explain the programs and assist guests in scheduling activities. To do this you will need to have detailed knowledge of the activities and area, so you will have the chance to do all the tours and learn the ins-and-outs. You will also help us further develop all the tour programs and work with the Marketing Coordinator to develop promotional materials. You will have the chance to guide trips if you like or join trips and tours.
5) Sustainability/Permaculture Coordinator- this position will develop and implement the various sustainability projects we have at the Ecolodge, such as the organic garden, solar equipment, clay building, composting. You will work with and guide other volunteers to implement projects and improve the sustainability of the Ecolodge. You may also work with the Moken village or other communities to disperse sustainable technologies to local villages.
All positions include orientation, training, evaluations and feedback, accommodation (shared or private) in a bungalow that is the same as our guests stay, amazing and healthy Thai food cooked fresh 3 times a day, and the opportunity to join Ecolodge activities (diving, snorkeling, sea kayaking, etc. at cost). Internship duration is ideally Nov.-May (6 months), but shorter durations may be possible. Please e-mail us with your interests, experience (CV) and preferred timeline.
All interns will work closely with the Director and other Thai and Western staff as a team. We work hard and play hard and the family atmosphere surrounded by the nature of Koh Ra's jungle and sea is hard to beat. Join us for an unforgettable experience.
We cover most of the costs of the internships and ask the interns to pay a partial contribution to ensure the continued success of the Koh Ra Ecolodge and projects.
The first month is largely consumed with training, getting settled-in and learning about the organization, in subsequent months interns usually are learning a lot and gaining valuable experience, after three months much knowledge has been absorbed and the rhythm of the required tasks becomes more stable. We therefore have set the following policy for cost sharing:
* First month training- cost US$500
* Second month- US$250
* Third month- Free food and accommodation
* Fourth month- Free food and accommodation
* Fifth month- Free food and accommodation
* Sixth month- Free accommodation and food and a US$250 payment to intern.
Have you booked with Koh Ra Ecolodge? Please share your experience and submit your review.