Balloon Kenya is a new model for social change and economic development where young people take the lead, shape the process and create something meaningful and dynamic. We are seeking 12 young innovators to join our Kenya 2012 project team.
Selected candidates will be working with more than 180 young Kenyans to design sustainable start-up ventures.
This opportunity includes two phases of work:
Phase 1 – Job Creation Kenya (3 months)
• We recruit high-achieving young people from the UK to complete an intensive 4-week course in innovation and entrepreneurship.
• Fellows then work for 8 weeks with groups of young Kenyans to devise, develop and launch new businesses that provide jobs and improve community wellbeing.
Phase 2 – Job Creation UK (3 months)
• Using the skills and insights picked up during phase 1, fellows work with expert mentors to design social businesses for the UK.
• Groups pitch their proposals to our UK funding network to secure start-up capital.
Balloon Kenya removes the key barriers that young entrepreneurs face, providing the training, mentorship, funding and ongoing support to enable participants to deliver significant impact.
What’s in it for you?
The Balloon Kenya programme offers:
• a unique opportunity to lead a creative process with Kenyan participants to imagine and design enterprising solutions to local problems
• the knowledge and resources to start your own ventures
• a chance to develop a hugely impressive range of skills and experience working in a challenging environment
• access to an amazing network of successful entrepreneurs, educators, NGO practitioners and financiers
• a certificate of innovation and entrepreneurship on completion
Balloon Kenya is a paying volunteer project. The cost of the programme per participant is £1800 plus return flights to Kenya (approx. £500). Reduced fare scholarships are available.
What we are looking for?
Balloon Kenya supports young people to do exceptional things. With this in mind we are looking for candidates who:
• have a naturally inquisitive and questioning mind
• want to pursue opportunities that challenge and inspire them
• are self-starters, ready to adapt and create at short notice
• can demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, energy and drive
• will work well as part of a tight-knit team to overcome set-backs
The programme is open to final year students and recent graduates under the age of 30.
To apply please send us a copy of your CV and a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. More information and application forms can be accessed at http://www.balloonkenya.com/apply/
Have you booked with Balloon Kenya? Please share your experience and submit your review.