How to Teach Online
Interested by the idea of working as an online teacher of English? Wondering how to get started or how to turn this into a full time career? Check out our top tips for becoming an online English teacher.
Top Reasons to Consider This Career
- Flexible, you can work from anywhere in the world as long as you have connection to the internet
- You won't have a boss telling you what to do
- Help people improve their language skills
- Turn a passion into a lifelong career
- One of the most challenging aspects of working as an online language teacher is getting clients and also adapting to working alone.
- Starting out can be tough, you will need to build an online presence over time and slowly new students will contact you.
- You will need to be motivated and have a clear plan of what you are planning to do daily
Best Platform to Use
There are lots of different online apps and communication platforms which online teachers utilise including Skype, Facetime, Whatsapp, Google Hangouts and WizIQ just to name some of the most popular ones.
- Be patient and stick at it if your income seems slow at first
- Take a TEFL certification course - although this isn't a necessity it will really help you with background information how to become a sucessful teacher.
- Advertise yourself on forums
- Offer competative prices or an initial lesson for free